You are here:
About converting polygons to points
Editing data in PLTS
Editing existing features
With some product specifications, polygons may need to be captured as point features if they do not meet a requirement for the features area. For instance, built-up areas that are less than 20 miles square in area may need to be point features, rather than polygons. The PLTS Polygon to Point allows you to add points to selected polygons from a single feature class.
When polygons are converted to points, the new point features are attributed in the following manner:
- The point feature is automatically populated with the polygon's values for all common attributes.
- Any attributes that are only in the point feature class are populated using the point feature class's default values.
- If the IsVisible field is present, and the Simple check box is not checked, it is set to visible.
To expedite the conversion process, you can check the Simple check box, which prevents the PLTS Polygon to Point tool from calculating the feature angle. If this check box is not checked, the tool attempts to calculate the feature angle based on the longest segment on the polygon feature.
You can also choose to delete the polygon feature once it has been converted to a point. If the Delete Polygon check box is checked, the polygon feature is deleted once the point is created. If the check box is not checked, the polygon feature is not deleted.
How to convert polygons to points
Adding the PLTS Polygon to Point tool
Converting polygons to points
- In ArcMap, click the Tools menu and click Customize.The Customize dialog box appears.
- Click the Commands tab.
- In the Categories list, choose PLTS Editing.
- In the Commands list, click and drag the PLTS Polygon to Point tool to a toolbar.
- Click Close.
- If necessary, start an edit session.
- Select the polygon features for which you want to create points.
- Click the PLTS Polygon to Point button .The Polygon to Point Tool dialog box appears.
- Click the Polygon Layer drop-down layer and choose the feature class that matches one of the polygons you have selected.
- Click the Point Layer drop-down arrow and choose the target layer you want to use to create points.
- Check the Simple check box if you want to prevent the Polygon To Point tool from calculating the feature angle.
- Check the Delete Polygon check box if you want to delete the polygon feature from the layer once the point is created.
- Click Apply.A message appears indicating that the process is complete.
- Click OK.
Please visit the Feedback
page to comment or give suggestions on ArcGIS Desktop Help.
Copyright © Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc.