You are here:
Military Overlay Editor
The moleCore database contains all of the and geometric primitives MOLE uses to create MOLE graphics (or military symbols based on the specifications MOLE supports).
The moleCore database comes in three formats:
- moleCore.gdb - a folder of files that make up the file geodatabase version of the moleCore database. It is installed with MOLE 9.2 and higher.
- moleCore.mdb - a Microsoft Access database installed with MOLE 9.2 and pre-9.2 versions of MOLE.
- moleCore.sde - a version of the moleCore database used for MOLE on non-Windows platforms before MOLE 9.2 was released. Instructions for using MOLE with moleCore.sde are provided at Configure MOLE to use moleCore.sde. At 9.2, moleCore.gdb can be used in place of moleCore.sde, because moleCore.gdb is cross-platform.
When you first add a MOLE layer to ArcMap or ArcGIS:
- On Windows: MOLE looks for moleCore.mdb in <ArcGIS installation directory>/ArcGIS/Bin. If moleCore.mdb isn't there, it looks in the same location for moleCore.gdb, then moleCore.sde.
- On Linux/Solaris: MOLE looks for moleCore.gdb in <ArcGIS installation directory>/ArcGIS/Bin. If moleCore.gdb isn't there, it looks in the same location for moleCore.sde.
It is recommended that you not edit the moleCore database. However, if you customized your moleCore database prior to 9.3, it is recommended that you manually move your customizations into the 9.3 version.
Configure MOLE to use moleCore.sde
moleCore.sde is a version of the moleCore database used for MOLE on non-Windows platforms before MOLE 9.2 was released. Although at 9.2 you can use moleCore.gdb in place of moleCore.sde (because moleCore.gdb is cross-platform), you may still want to configure MOLE to use moleCore.sde.
When you use an ArcSDE connection file, moleCore.sde must contain the connection properties and be in the same directory as the MOLE .dll files. MOLE .dll files are installed to <ArcGIS installation directory>/ArcGIS/Bin.
- In ArcCatalog, make a connection to a spatial database by double-clicking Add Spatial Database Connection.
- In the Spatial Database Connection dialog box, enter the name of your server, service, database, user name, and password.
- Expand the database in the ArcCatalog table of contents.
- In the table of contents, copy the contents of moleCore.gdb in <ArcGIS Installation directory>/ArcGIS/Bin to the database using copy and paste commands.
- Make sure all feature classes and tables are copied over.
- Close ArcCatalog.
- Copy the connection file to the bin directory:
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\ESRI\ArcCatalog.
- Copy the database connection file (for example, my_database_name.sde) to <ArcGIS Installation directory>/ArcGIS/Bin.
- Rename the database connection file to moleCore.sde.
- Delete all other instances of the moleCore database.
- More than one moleCore database can exist in <ArcGIS installation directory>/ArcGIS/Bin. If all three formats exist in the directory, MOLE will use moleCore.gdb first, then moleCore.sde, then moleCore.mdb.
Also see the Tips after the topic Use styles with force elements
Please visit the Feedback
page to comment or give suggestions on ArcGIS Desktop Help.
Copyright © Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc.