You are here:
About creating a simple report
Mapping and visualization
Working with graphs and reports
This topic was updated for 9.3.1.
How to create a simple tabular report
A report lets you organize and display the tabular data that's associated with your geographic features. Sometimes you'll want to print out a report to distribute with your map, or you might put the report directly on the map.
When you create your report, you choose which fields to display and whether you want to generate a report listing all features in a layer or only the selected ones. Once you've created your report, you can put it on the layout next to your map display or print it.
A report has many properties that you set when you create it. For example, you can set a property to define what type of reports you want—tabular or columnar. You can also set a particular page size and use a particular text font and color for the text on your report.
- Click the Tools menu, point to Reports, and click Create Report.
- Click the Layer/Table drop-down arrow on the Fields tab and click the layer or table on which you want to base the report.
- Double-click the fields in the Available Fields list you want to include in the report.
- Check Use Selected Set if you want to create a report with only the selected features.
- Click the arrow buttons to order the report fields.
- Click the Sorting tab.
- Click a field to sort in the Sort column.
- Click the Display tab.
- Expand Elements under Settings.
- Check Title to add a title to the report.
- Locate the Text property and type a title for the report.
- Click the Font property and set the font and size of the title.
- Click Show Settings to preview the report.
- Click Generate Report.
- Click Add at the top of the Report Viewer to add the report to the map layout.
- Click OK. The report is added to the layout as a graphic element. Each page of the report is added as a separate graphic element on the layout.
- Once you've created a report, you can display it on your map layout. By creating a report with a particular page size, you can ensure that it fits exactly where you want it on the layout.
- You can add additional report elements—such as a title, page numbers, an image, and footnotes—to enhance the display. The Elements setting on the Display tab lists all the elements you can add.
- To make the data in your reports easier to read, you can shade every other record with a color.
- You can also open the report wizard from the Options menu on the table window.
Please visit the Feedback
page to comment or give suggestions on ArcGIS Desktop Help.
Copyright © Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc.